ATD will crown its top truck dealer Saturday
The 2014 Truck Dealer of the Year and runner-up will be announced Saturday, Jan. 25, during the 51st annual ATD Convention and Expo, which runs concurrently with the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) Convention and Expo in New Orleans from Jan. 24-27.
This year’s nominees, in no particular order, are:
• R. Kyle Treadway, president, dealer principal and legal counsel of Kenworth Sales Co. with locations in Utah, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Nevada and Wyoming.
Treadway has been part of Kenworth Sales Company, which was founded by his grandparents in 1945, his entire life.
• Donald L. Sherwood, dealer principal of Sherwood Freightliner, Sterling and Western Star, in Dunmore, Pa.
Sherwood, a former Congressman, grew up in the automotive industry working at his father’s dealership. Following a stint as a lieutenant in the U.S. Army – where he managed a staff of 400 in a maintenance shop at an Army base – he founded Sherwood Chevrolet, which sold mid- and heavy-duty trucks.
• William K. Reilley, Sr., CEO of Lakeside International Trucks, with eight locations in Wisconsin and Illinois.
Reilley began his career in the truck industry in the mid 1960’s with International Harvester Co. in Chicago, progressing through a number of sales positions before becoming Fleet Sales Manager in 1981. Three years later he was approved to become the medium- and heavy-duty truck dealer in the Milwaukee, Wisc. market.
• Michael P. McMahon, CEO of McMahon Truck Centers, with locations in North Carolina, Ohio, West Virginia, South Carolina and Tennessee.
Even though his family had been in transportation for six generations, McMahon’s career didn’t begin at a dealership. For the three years that followed his graduation from Notre Dame, he served at a corporate law firm in New York City.
Eventually family ties became too strong to ignore and McMahon moved to Atlanta to begin working at Rollins Truck Leasing. A year later he went to work as a dealership service advisor.
• William Don Larson, CEO and owner of Allstate Peterbilt Group, in Wayzata, Minn.
Larson originally founded Allstate Peterbilt Group in 1971 and the company has grown from a single location with a single truck in Bloomington, Minn. to an industry leader in parts, service and sales of all types of medium and heavy duty trucks and equipment with 20 locations throughout Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin and Ohio.
• Timothy J. Fyda, president and CEO of Fyda Freightliner, with multiple locations in Ohio and Pennsylvania, was named one of six finalists for the American Truck Dealers (ATD) 2014 Truck Dealer of the Year.
Fyda Freightliner was founded by Walter F. Fyda upon his return from active duty with the United States Air Force in 1954. The company started with a staff of six employees who were responsible for selling and servicing White trucks in the Youngstown and Warren, Ohio areas.
Tim Fyda joined the company in 1987 after his own eight year stint in the Air Force. Tim Fyda took the reigns as manager of the Columbus operation before being named president of the corporation in 1997.