Majority of fleets plan truck purchases by March
Sixty-two percent of fleet executives responding to the Q1 2014 Fleet Sentiment survey conducted by CK Commercial Vehicle Research (CKCVR) in January indicated they plan to place orders for Class 8 trucks in the next three months.
Another 48 percent indicated they planned to place trailer orders. Overall, the CKCVR Buying Index, which combines activity and volume for both planned tractor and trailer orders, calculated to 112.0 the highest reading since the index was established in 2008.
Other highlights from the Q1 2014 Fleet Sentiment survey:
• Planned orders for both power and trailers are primarily for replacement.
• Overall environment at the fleets surveyed is good
• Larger fleets more likely to be placing orders in early 2014
• The driver shortage continue to impact fleets of all sizes and vocations
• 79 percent of maintenance for the group responding is done in-house
• Truck pricing has varied influence on fleet buying plans
In all, 52 fleets participated in the Q1 2014 Fleet Sentiment Report Survey. They operate in excess of 39,000 Class 8 trucks and 96,000 trailers. Responses were received between January 14 and January 24.
From our partners