August 9, 2013
Name: MHC Kenworth, of Kansas City
Environmental or “going green” efforts
• MHC is dedicated to finding ways to advance environmental stewardship across its dealer network.
• In 2007 MHC invested in a document imaging program to reduce the amount of paper used for printing and reprinting documents. The system was designed to enable online management and review of documents. The project has been successful and MHC continues to expand the scope of the process to further reduce the unnecessary use of paper.
• In 2011 MHC opened its first Green Dealership in Oklahoma City, Okla. The building uses a state-of-the-art geothermal system that keeps the ambient air temperature more consistent, reducing the amount of fuel and electricity needed to heat and cool the building. The building also features a heating system that burns recycled engine oil, motion-controlled lights that turn off and on in response to available natural light and translucent hollow-core overhead doors in the body and service departments allowing natural light to illuminate those areas without affecting air temperature. Since 2011 MHC has opened four more dealership utilizing green technology, in Odessa, Texas, Jonesboro, Ark., and Topeka, Kan. MHC will continue to build and renovate its locations with green technology in mind.
Community involvement and civic responsibility
• MHC is actively involved in the community and supports a variety of charities at both the corporate and branch level. Over the past few years MHC supported the following charities and organizations financially and with volunteers: Community of the Good Shepard, Kansas City Young Matrons Philanthropic Fund, Susan G Komen Race for the Cure, UMB Big Bash, Jewish Community Center, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, American Royal Association, Children’s Mercy Hospitals, Goodwill of Western Missouri, as well as a number of contributions in our branches’ local markets. The corporate offices have organized team participation in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure for two years now. We have also participated in the Kansas City Corporate Challenge for the last two years.
• The company offers a college or university scholarship for one student of an employee on an annual basis. We also offer over 20 Oklahoma State University Technical School Scholarships per year. This is a two year, fully accredited associate’s degree. The students attend an eight week alternating schedule on campus at OSU-Okmulgee learning to become a diesel technician and then working at an MHC location. This program helps students that might not otherwise be able to attain a degree through scholarship, paid internship, and tool investment.
• MHC hosts Truck Shows in its major markets annually. The events are designed to educate customers on the latest products and service from the OEM’s and MHC. In addition, MHC’s partners attend the event and provide training and education on their products. These events are well attended by customers, and MHC continues to add new shows.
• The dealerships host over 100 customer nights, workshops and seminars a year to educate their customers. This year MHC branches and RoadForce, MHC’s private label parts brand, partnered to offer an HVAC Program. Those attending the program are educated on how to diagnosis and repair their HVAC system. In addition, participants may become MACS Certified by taking a test at the conclusion of the class. MHC offers workshops on maintenance best practices for Rotating Electric. As a result these customers have reduced their downtime and warranty claims.
Staff education & training
• MHC invests heavily in employee training and education, and offers a myriad of opportunities for all its nearly 3,000 employees. MHC offers a tuition reimbursement program for anyone seeking to further their education. In addition, employees have opportunities to take part in dozens of boot camps, manager training and sales workshops to aid in their professional development at MHC.
• In 1999 MHC launched it Management Trainee program. The program was designed to develop a select group of recent college graduates for management positions. Each year a class of 10-15 trainees takes part in a nine month training program. The program rotates the trainees through each department where they learn how each facet of the business is run. Upon successful completion graduates are placed in permanent management positions.
• MHC Kenworth – Kansas City was recently awarded Kenworth’s Dealer of the Year. One of the metrics used to determine the award recipient relates to technician training. MHC ranked the highest in number of advanced technician training for all Kenworth Dealerships.
• Marketing for MHC is done both at a local and corporate level. The MHC marketing department supports all of the dealership with their marketing efforts. Each location has unique needs and market, therefore this approach allows the dealerships to leverage what others are doing, but customize it specifically to them.
• In addition to the traditional brand advertising, MHC balances it with interactive marketing. Utilizing the latest tools and technology, MHC strives to communicate with its customers in the manner they prefer and with messages specifically relating to them and their business. You will also find MHC on Facebook and Twitter. We have found these mediums to be beneficial in developing Customer Loyalty with MHC.
The winner of The Successful Dealer Award will be named Wednesday, Aug, 21 at CVOC in Dallas, Texas.